Bursitis is a painful condition that affects the small, fluid-filled sacs — called bursae, that cushion the bones, tendons and muscles near your joints. Bursitis occurs when bursae become inflamed.
The most common locations for bursitis are in the shoulder, elbow, knee and hip. But you can also have bursitis by your knee, heel and the base of your big toe. Bursitis often occurs near joints that perform frequent repetitive motion.
Treatment typically involves resting the affected joint and protecting it from further trauma. In most cases, bursitis pain goes away within a few weeks with proper treatment, but recurrent flare-ups of bursitis are common.
The most common causes of bursitis are repetitive motions or positions that irritate the bursae around a joint.
- Throwing a baseball or lifting something over your head repeatedly
- Leaning on your elbows for long periods
- Extensive kneeling for tasks such as laying carpet or scrubbing floors
- Prolonged sitting, particularly on hard surfaces
Other causes include injury or trauma to the affected area, inflammatory arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis, gout, and infection.
*shoulder, knee, elbow and hip bursae
If you have bursitis, the affected joint may:
- Feel achy or stiff
- Hurt more when you move it or press on it
- Look swollen and red
- Disabling joint pain
- Pain for more than one to two weeks
- Excessive swelling, redness, bruising or a rash in the affected area
- Sharp or shooting pain, especially when you exercise or exert yourself
To diagnose bursitis, your Chiropractor will do a thorough history and exam. You may also need imaging tests, such as an ultrasound or MRI to diagnose bursitis or rule out other problems.
Dr Farrugia (Chiropractor) has successfully treated many bursitis patients and has a lot of experience treating these patients in his 12 years of clinical practice. Patients with bursitis can be extremely challenging to treat unless correct protocol is followed. As a general rule the longer you suffer with bursitis the harder it is to treat.
So if you suffer from bursitis do not put it off, call Perth Chiro Centre today on 9342 1211 or Book Online Now and start on your road to recovery.
- We are honest and Genuinely CARE about you and your problem
- We are good at what we do!!!
- We do after work hours appointments
- Our fundamental goal is to alleviate your symptoms in minimal visits
- We work with network of GPs and Surgeons and can bounce ideas between our network and work out what is best for our patients
- We have HICAPS facilities so private health claims can be made instantly
- “No Wait Policy”. All of our patients are seen immediately we don’t over schedule appointments so there is no lengthy wait in waiting room.
- Friendly and courteous staff.
- We are honest and evidence based
- We do not over service
- X Rays are only taken if actually required. We don’t x ray every patient and use the x ray as a tool to scare patients into lengthy treatment schedules.
- We use Xrays to rule out pathology and arthritic problems. We don’t use them to look at postural stances.
- Professional but comfortable atmosphere.
- We have easy parking at the door
- Large private treatment rooms.
- Convenient location.
- Secondary evaluations/opinions.
- M.D. and attorney referrals.
To book an appointment please call us;
Greenwood Clinic (08) 9342 1211
Wembley Downs Clinic (08) 9341 3002