Neck pain affects a significant number of individuals. The reason is that the neck region contains many delicate, pain sensitive structures commonly exposed to abuse and abnormal stresses. Incomplete rehabilitation of past injuries, poor posture, prolonged sitting at the computer hours spent in bad postures on the mobile phone or tablet are some of the more common factors in the development of neck problems.
Causes of Neck Pain
There are many causes for neck pain. Some causes result from acute injuries which cannot be avoided, such as an automobile accident resulting in a whiplash-type injury. Other causes can be avoided and result from the use of “bad” or improper habits and techniques, such as poor posture and improper lifting. These “other causes” make up the majority of neck pain causes and appropriate measures need to be taken to avoid these “bad” and improper habits and techniques are implemented.
Some of the More Common Causes of Neck Pain Include:
- incomplete rehabilitation of past injuries
- facet joint dysfunction
- whiplash-type injuries
- improper workstation setup
- poor posture
- prolonged sitting
- prolonged use of non-ergonomically designed equipment
- excessive repetitive neck motions
- improper telephone techniques
- excessive mental stress
- physical inactivity
- poor diet and nutritional practices
Treatments for Neck Pain
Doctors of chiropractic focus on neck facet joint dysfunction and muscle imbalances which can contribute to neck pain. At Perth Chiro Centre we also try to identify and try to correct poor habits and postures that can contribute significantly to neck pain.
At Perth Chiro Centre We Try To;
Identify The Cause of the Neck Problem/Pain
The first step in treating neck pain is to determine what has and is causing the neck pain. Once the causes and contributing factors are identified, a successful treatment plan can be structured to try and eliminate pain and achieve the goals of the patient.
Treat the Cause of the Neck Problem/Pain
Dependent on the identified cause of the neck pain we will use different modalities to try and improve your symptoms. Our range of treatments includes;
- Spinal and/ or limb manipulation.
- Spinal and/ or limb mobilization.
- Soft Tissue Therapy (e.g Trigger Point Therapy, Dry Needling, Cross friction Massage, Graston Technique and Stretching).
- Traction and limited traction device known as flexion distraction.
- Active Care (Supervised Rehabilitation Exercise Programs, Home Exercises).
- Physical rehabilitation and advice.
- Referral to appropriate healthcare professionals for further investigations or co management as deemed appropriate.
Identify Bad Habits and Implement Changes
Another key ingredient to a successful chiropractor neck pain treatment plan includes the learning of proper postural habits and other techniques. Proper posture is a significant factor in the health of the neck and back and proper posture should always be practiced. Techniques common to daily living and work also play a major role in the development or lack of development of neck pain. This includes proper lifting techniques, telephone techniques, avoidance of repetitive motions, and much more. We can teach you correct habits and techniques which will protect your neck and back from discomfort and injury.
Healthy Living Tips for Neck and Upper Back Pain
Practice proper posture, lifting and ergonomics. Practicing proper posture, lifting techniques and ergonomics are key in reducing neck and back injuries at work and play and minimizing future recurrences of past injuries
Regular exercise. Routine physical activity keeps the heart healthy and keeps the spine as well as the rest of the body strong and healthy. An effective exercise program should consist of a minimum of 3 sessions per week for 40 minutes. Involve friends and family, mix up the activities, keep it fun and stay consistent!
Proper diet and nutrition. Providing your body with the proper fuel increases performance, reduces the likelihood of injury and sickness, speeds recovery after injury, and keeps you feeling good.
Utilize stress management techniques. Stress is most often carried in the shoulders, upper back and yes, neck. While stress can’t be totally eliminated there are effective techniques to help bring it under control.
- We are honest and Genuinely CARE about you and your problem
- We are good at what we do!!!
- We do after work hours appointments
- Our fundamental goal is to alleviate your symptoms in minimal visits
- We work with network of GPs and Surgeons and can bounce ideas between our network and work out what is best for our patients
- We have HICAPS facilities so private health claims can be made instantly
- “No Wait Policy”. All of our patients are seen immediately we don’t over schedule appointments so there is no lengthy wait in waiting room.
- Friendly and courteous staff.
- We are honest and evidence based
- We do not over service
- X Rays are only taken if actually required. We don’t x ray every patient and use the x ray as a tool to scare patients into lengthy treatment schedules.
- We use X Rays to rule out pathology and arthritic problems. We don’t use them to look at postural stances.
- Professional but comfortable atmosphere.
- We have easy parking at the door
- Large private treatment rooms.
- Convenient location.
- Secondary evaluations/opinions.
- M.D. and attorney referrals.
To book an appointment please call us;
Greenwood Clinic (08) 9342 1211
Wembley Downs Clinic (08) 9341 3002