Bursitis is a painful condition that affects the small, fluid-filled sacs — called bursae, that cushion the bones, tendons, and muscles near your joints. Bursitis occurs when bursae become inflamed.
The most common locations for bursitis often occurs in the shoulder, elbow, knee, and hip. But your knee, heel and the base of your big toe can also be affected. Bursitis occurs near joints that perform frequent repetitive motion and strenuous movements.
Treatment typically involves resting the affected joint and protecting it from further trauma. In most cases, bursitis pain goes away within a few weeks with proper care and treatment, but recurrent flare-ups of bursitis are also common.
The most common causes of bursitis are repetitive motions or positions that irritate the bursae around a joint.
Example activities include:
- Throwing a baseball or lifting something over your head repeatedly
- Leaning on your elbows for long periods
- Extensive kneeling for tasks such as laying carpet or scrubbing floors
- Prolonged sitting, particularly on hard surfaces
Other causes include injury or trauma to the affected area, inflammatory arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis, gout, and infection.
If you have bursitis, the affected joint may:
- Feel achy or stiff
- Hurt more when you move it or press on it
- Look swollen and red
- Disabling joint pain
- Pain for more than one to two weeks
- Excessive swelling, redness, bruising or a rash in the affected area
- Sharp or shooting pain, especially when you exercise or exert yourself
To properly diagnose bursitis, The Chiropractor will execute a thorough history and examination. You may also need imaging tests, such as an ultrasound or MRI to diagnose bursitis or rule out other problems.
Our chiropractor, Dr.Farrugia has successfully treated a number of patients who suffer from bursitis, he has 12 years of clinical practice and experience in his field.
Patients with bursitis can extremely be challenging to treat unless correct protocol is properly followed. As a general rule the longer you suffer from bursitis the harder it is to treat.
So if you suffer from bursitis do not delay your treatment, call Perth Chiro Centre today at 9342 1211 or Book Online and start your road to recovery.
Why Choose Us?
- We are honest and Genuinely CARE about you and your health concerns
- We are experts in what we do
- We do after work hours appointments
- Our fundamental goal is to alleviate your symptoms in minimal visits
- We work with a network of GPs and Surgeons and can bounce ideas between our network and work out what is best for our patients
- We have HICAPS facilities so private health claims can be made instantly
- “No Wait Policy”. All of our patients are seen immediately we don’t over-schedule appointments so there is no lengthy waiting time
- Our staff are friendly, courteous, and approachable
- We are honest and evidence-based
- We do not intentionally prolong treatment process
- X Rays are only taken if required. We don’t require every patient to undergo X-rays for the purpose of scaring them or giving them a lengthy treatment schedule.
- We use X-Rays to rule out pathology and arthritic problems. We don’t use them to look at postural stances.
- Our clinic maintains a professional but comfortable atmosphere.
- We have easy parking spaces for our patients
- Large private treatment rooms.
- Convenient location.
- Secondary evaluations/opinions.
- M.D. and attorney referrals.
To book an appointment please call us;
Greenwood Clinic (08) 9342 1211