At Perth Chiro Centre, we commonly see a number of factors that contribute to mid back pain;
- Increasing work demands; Long hours at the desk with poor posture habits
- A decrease in any physical activity or exercise outside work hours
- Prolonged sitting at the computer, car or in front of the television
- Once pain commences failure to seek care and advice
- Poor lifting techniques: Patients overloading back and not using their legs
Doctors of chiropractic focus on the musculoskeletal system. We, therefore, treat mid back pain caused by facet joint dysfunction and associated muscle tightness. At Perth Chiro Centre, we also try to identify and correct poor habits and poor postures. These can contribute considerably to middle back pain.
Middle Back Pain Causes
At Perth Chiro Centre we try to;
IDENTIFY THE CAUSE OF THE MID BACK PAIN
The first step in middle back pain treatment is to determine what is actually causing it. Our aim initially is to obtain a correct diagnosis. There are many different causes of mid back pain and some have different treatment protocols. Contributing factors are then identified. After this, we design a treatment plan for middle back pain relief that includes eliminating any aggravating activities of daily living.
TREATING THE CAUSE OF MID BACK PAIN
The treatment we will administer for mid back pain is dependent on the diagnosis that we have identified as the cause. Treatments available at Perth Chiro Centre are;
- Chiropractic Manipulation Therapy to Spine.
- Chiropractic Mobilisation to Spine
- Soft Tissue Therapy (e.g Trigger Point Therapy, Dry Needling, Cross friction Massage, Graston Technique and Stretching).
- Flexion-Distraction Therapy Using our Flexion Distraction Tables
- Home Stretching and Strengthening Programs
- Referral to Appropriate Healthcare Professionals in our Network for Further Investigations or Co-Management as Deemed Appropriate.
IDENTIFYING BAD HABITS AND MAKING APPROPRIATE CHANGES
It is a very important component of any treatment plan form to learn proper postural habits and have correct ergonomics at the workstation. Proper posture needs to be constantly practised as it is a significant contributing factor in the health of the mid back. Activities of daily living and work also can contribute significantly to the development of mid back pain. This includes but is not limited to; proper lifting techniques, posture whilst on the telephone and avoidance of bad postural stances and repetitive motions in general. At Perth Chiro Centre, we can teach you all about correct postural stances and correct ergonomics of your workstation but it is your decision if you implement this into your life.
DAILY TIPS FOR REDUCING MID BACK PAIN
PRACTICE GOOD POSTURE, CORRECT LIFTING AND WORKSTATION ERGONOMICS
Practising correct; posture, lifting techniques and ergonomics are all key areas that need work if you want to reduce the chance of mid-back injuries at work. Practising these key areas every day will also play a key role in minimising future recurrences of past injuries.
Exercise keeps all the joints of the spine moving and lubricated. Joints love movement and exercise also keeps you mentally fit! Involving your friends and family is a good way to keep your motivation levels high.
UTILIZE STRESS MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUES
Stress is often underestimated as a cause of mid back pain. Stress is most often carried in the upper traps of the shoulders. While everyday stress can’t be totally eliminated keeping in control of your stress levels is important for overall health and can help in improving mid back pain and lower back pain as well.
To book an appointment please call us;
Greenwood Clinic (08) 9342 1211
Wembley Downs Clinic (08) 9341 3002
Alternatively, click here to book online.