Neck pain is one of the more common complaints we see here at Perth Chiro Centre. It affects a substantial number of Perth’s population especially those that are working all day in front of the computer in aberrant postural stances. Pore posture, spending hours in front of the computer without a break, incorrect lifting, extensive Ipad and mobile phone use are all reasons neck pain has become a real issue affecting many. Scarily we are now getting more children than ever before book in with neck pain and headaches for chiropractic treatment. We put this down to them playing games looking down on tablets in abnormal postures. Stress can also cause significant neck stiffness and pain as when we stress we tense a lot of the muscles associated with the neck.
CAUSES OF NECK PAIN:
There are many causes of neck pain. Some are from causes we cannot help such as motor vehicle accidents resulting in whiplash-like injuries. Other causes can be directly addressed and can be avoided. Poor postures and incorrect lifting can be easily avoided when appropriate measures are taken to avoid “bad habits” we have developed with the digital age we are in.
MORE COMMON CAUSES OF NECK PAIN:
- Incorrect or not complete rehabilitation of injuries in the past
- Facet joint dysfunction
- Motor vehicle whiplash-type injuries
- Improper ergonomics and workstation setup
- Poor posture at workstation and on mobile phone or tablet
- Prolonged sitting
- Prolonged use of poor ergonomic equipment
- Excessive repetitive neck motions or repetitive overhead arm movements
- Sporting Injuries
- Improper telephone techniques (holding the phone to the ear)
- Stress- this includes both physical and mental stress
- Physical inactivity and overall sedimentary lifestyle
- Poor sleeping position
CHIROPRACTIC TREATMENT FOR NECK PAIN
Doctors of chiropractic focus on the musculoskeletal system. We, therefore, treat neck pain caused by facet joint dysfunction and associated muscle tightness. At Perth Chiro Centre, we also try to identify and correct poor habits and poor postures. These can contribute considerably to neck pain.
At Perth Chiro Centre We Strive To;
IDENTIFY THE CAUSE OF THE NECK PAIN:
The first step in treating neck pain is to determine what is actually causing it. Our aim initially is to obtain a correct diagnosis. There are many different causes of neck pain and some have different treatment protocols. Contributing factors are then identified. After this, we design a treatment plan that includes eliminating any aggravating activities of daily living.
TREAT THE CAUSE OF THE NECK PAIN:
Dependant on the diagnosis that we have identified as the cause of the neck pain determines what treatment we will administer. Treatments or types of chiropractic adjustment methods available at Perth Chiro Centre are;
- Chiropractic Manipulation Therapy to Spine (Spinal Manipulation)
- Chiropractic Mobilization to Spine
- Soft Tissue Therapy (e.g Trigger Point Therapy, Dry Needling, Cross friction Massage, Graston Technique and Stretching).
- Flexion Distraction Therapy Using our Flexion Distraction Tables
- Home Stretching and Strengthening Programs
- Referral to Appropriate Healthcare Professionals in our Network for Further Investigations or Co-Management as Deemed Appropriate.
IDENTIFYING BAD HABITS AND MAKING APPROPRIATE CHANGES
It is a very important component of any treatment plan for neck pain to learn proper postural habits and have correct ergonomics at the workstation. Proper posture needs to be constantly practised as it is a significant contributing factor in the health of the neck and back. Activities of daily living and work also can contribute significantly to the development of neck pain. This includes but is not limited to; proper lifting techniques, posture whilst on the telephone and avoidance of bad postural stances and repetitive motions in general. At Perth Chiro Centre, we can teach you all about correct postural stances and correct ergonomics of your workstation for pain relief for neck pain or even shoulder pain relief. But it is your decision if you implement this into your life
DAILY TIPS FOR REDUCING NECK PAIN;
- PRACTICE GOOD POSTURE, CORRECT LIFTING AND WORKSTATION ERGONOMICS;
Practising correct; posture, lifting techniques and ergonomics are all key areas that need work if you want to reduce the chance of neck and back injuries at work. Practising these key areas every day will also play a key role in minimizing future recurrences of past injuries
- REGULAR EXERCISE;
Exercise keeps all the joints of the spine moving and lubricated. Joints love movement and exercise also keeps you mentally fit! Involving your friends and family is a good way to keep your motivation levels high.
- UTILIZE STRESS MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUES;
Stress is often underestimated as a cause of neck and middle back pain. Stress is most often carried in the upper traps of the shoulders and neck. While everyday stress can’t be totally eliminated keeping in control of your stress levels is important for overall health and can help in improving neck pain.
To book an appointment please call us;
Greenwood Clinic (08) 9342 1211
Wembley Downs Clinic (08) 9341 3002
Alternatively, click here to book online.