What is skin needling?
Skin needling (often referred to dry needling) was first developed in the 1800s as a technique to treat pain arising from myofascial trigger points (or tight areas of muscles).
Skin needling works by stimulating neuroreceptors and cause the body to release chemicals which block pain and promote healing. Fine needles are inserted into the effected muscles, this needling relaxes the muscles and stimulates large nerve fibres to reduce pain. The aim of dry needling is to achieve a local twitch response to release muscle tension & pain.
What does it treat?
Skin needling can be beneficial in the treatment of:
- Chronic Back Pain
- Migraines and Headaches
- Sports Injuries
- Tennis Elbow
- Repetitive Strain Injuries
- Work Related Injuries
- Motor Vehicle Injuries
What outcomes can I expect?
The positive effects of dry needling may include decreased pain, increased flexibility and mobility. It may also help to relieve nerve symptoms such as pins and needles, numbness and headaches.
Is dry needling painful?
This is one of the most common questions we’re asked by patients looking at undertaking skin needling in Perth. Especially if they have a fear of needles. Dry needling isn’t as invasive as the needles used by doctors and nurses for inoculations and intravenous treatments.
The needles used are very thin & most patients do not even feel them penetrate the skin. Dry needling therapy is generally pain free, however if the muscle is sensitive & shortened or has active trigger points within it, the patient may feel a sensation like a muscle cramp. This is known as ‘the twitch response’ and is a good indicator that the treatment is having an effect.
The practitioners at Perth Chiro Centre are very experienced in skin needling for Perth patients. This includes where to place the needles to achieve effective results. Your practitioner will discuss with you if dry needling Perth is an appropriate form of treatment.
- We are honest and Genuinely CARE about you and your problem
- We are good at what we do!!!
- We do after work hours appointments
- Our fundamental goal is to alleviate your symptoms in minimal visits
- We work with network of GPs and Surgeons and can bounce ideas between our network and work out what is best for our patients
- We have HICAPS facilities so private health claims can be made instantly
- “No Wait Policy”. All of our patients are seen immediately we don’t over schedule appointments so there is no lengthy wait in waiting room.
- Friendly and courteous staff.
- We are honest and evidence based
- We do not over service
- X Rays are only taken if actually required. We don’t x ray every patient and use the x ray as a tool to scare patients into lengthy treatment schedules.
- We use X Rays to rule out pathology and arthritic problems. We don’t use them to look at postural stances.
- Professional but comfortable atmosphere.
- We have easy parking at the door
- Large private treatment rooms.
- Convenient location.
- Secondary evaluations/opinions.
- M.D. and attorney referrals.
To book an appointment please call us;
Greenwood Clinic (08) 9342 1211
Wembley Downs Clinic (08) 9341 3002